Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Owl Mask

owl mask
Such a Wise Looking Owlet
I've been working on the owl mask for a couple of weeks now.  I finally finished the pattern this morning!  I love the owl mask, I think it could be my favorite mask so far....but I am kind of partial to owls.  The mask was designed after the Great Horned Owl.  I have a special fondness for Great Horned owls.  Once upon a time....way back before children.....I was on a birding trip with friends (better known as bird nerding).  We peaked into an old barn near Summer Lake,Oregon, to discover three fluffy Great Horned owlets.  They were sitting right at eye level, and there was just enough light to get a really good look at them, I think they were as curious about us as we were about them.  Later in the day the three found their way to the top of the barn and were just sitting there for all the world to see.  It's one of my favorite bird nerding memories.  

owl mask
Owl Mask 
When my daughter was a toddler, she called owls, "who-are-yous"  It earned her lots of owl toys, and a mommy-made owl blanket.  One of her favorite books to check out from the library was, "The Owl and the Pussy Cat,"  the Edward Lear poem, beautifully illustrated by Anne Wilson.  So, in the spirit of Edward Lear's famous poem I have also been working on a Pussy Cat mask....coming soon!

the owl and the pussy cat
The Owl and the Pussy Cat
The Owl Mask PDF Pattern is now available in my Etsy Shop.  I would love to see it made in fun bright colors...any takers?

owl mask








No comments:

Post a Comment